You want to be healthier, but starting a gym routine and doing hours of meal prep every week sounds absolutely exhausting and you’re already burning the candle at both ends. We get it! Massive lifestyle overhaul is tough and rarely sustainable. But the cool thing is that health is a spectrum, and there are ways you can start moving toward optimum wellness today just by making some minor tweaks to your day to day routine. And guess what: once you’re taking steps in the right direction and you start seeing the benefits, it’s easier to make bigger changes. Don’t set yourself up for failure by biting off more than you can chew all at once. Little adjustments add up to giant positives! Here are 5 things you can start doing right now to improve your health.
- Park a little farther. If joining a gym sounds like too much of a commitment, start implementing this hack to increase the number of steps you take in a day. As your step count increases, so does your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis), and you just might find your mood improved too!
- Swap out ___ for ___. You don’t have to overhaul your diet in a day. Just identify one less-than-ideal food or drink you consume at least fairly often, and find a healthier substitute. Try Zevia instead of soda, or homemade oatmeal instead of sugar-laden cereal that probably doesn’t keep you full anyway. Keep healthy snacks where you can reach for them instead of taking a trip to the vending machine when the hunger strikes in between meals. Change it up and cook a meal at home for date night instead of eating out. Just take it one swap at a time! Pretty soon you won’t even miss the things you thought you couldn’t live without.
- Go to sleep 15 minutes earlier. Lack of sleep is the culprit of a whole host of problems you might not even realize you’re dealing with: inflammation, moodiness, stress, difficulty concentrating and forming memories, weight gain, and lowered immunity, for starters. Not getting enough zzz’s also increases your risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes. That’s the kind of stuff that will keep you up at night—so make sleep a priority!
- Pay attention when you eat. Time is money, and sitting down to enjoy a meal might feel like a luxury you can’t afford. But trying to multitask by eating in front of the computer or TV or other source of distraction can negatively impact digestion and lead to unwanted weight gain, as you don’t give your brain time to register fullness. Slow down, savor your food, and take time to breathe! The to-do list will wait.
- Switch to all-natural hair and skin care! “All-natural” used to be synonymous with “ineffective,” but with options like Petal Fresh SuperFoods hair and body care, that’s not true anymore. Restore your hair’s natural luster with vegan and paraben-free shampoo, conditioner, and hair serum, and replenish the nutrients chemicals have stripped from your skin from shoulders to toes with eco-friendly, sulfate-free shower milk, body butter, and foot treatments! Our products are made with high-quality, organic, real-food ingredients, because if it’s good for your insides, it’s good for your outsides too.
Take care of your body—it’s the only one you’ve got! Small changes go a long way. Start now!